NEW: Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy — once a month, a new eStory will be released. List below.
Genres and Sub-GenresEdit
Young Adult Urban Fantasy
- It's Urban Fantasy targeted at young adults (teens) but enjoyed by a wide-range of ages.
Series Description or Overview Edit
A teen girl witnesses people and an event that no one else seems to see. In so doing, she gets drawn into the world of the Shadow Hunters and discovers that she is also a Shadowhunter and that her mother has been hiding a lot things from her. Her mother gets kidnapped and Clary is on her own and brought to the New York Institute for Shadow Hunters. She learns about Downworlders: Werewolves, Vampires, Warlocks, and Fae and begins to train. Thus begins a six book series about Clary and Jace as well as Simon, Isabel, Alec, and Magnus and their fight against the forces of evil. ~ Hopestar
Lead's Species Edit
- Shadowhunter / Nephillim
Primary Supe Edit
- Angels & Demons
What Sets it ApartEdit
Narrative Type and Narrators Edit
- First person narrative told by Clary Fray.
Books in Series Edit
The Mortal Instruments:
- City of Bones (2007)
- City of Ashes (2008)
- City of Glass (2009)
- City of Fallen Angels (2011)
- City of Lost Souls (2012)
- City of Heavenly Fire (May 27th 2014) — Paperback: Feb 5, 2015
Shorts, Novellas, Anthologies and Guides Edit
- Sample of the CITYs (2009)
- Shadowhunters and Downworlders (2013)
- City of Bones: The Little Book of Quotes (2013)
- City of Bones Journal (2013)
- The Shadowhunter's Codex (2013)
Short series Edit
The Bane Chronicles series: A Collection of Ten Short Stories centred around Magnus Bane.
- What Really Happened in Peru (2013) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
- The Runaway Queen (2013) (with Maureen Johnson)
- Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale (2013) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
- The Midnight Heir (2013) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
- The Rise of the Hotel Dumort (2013) (with Maureen Johnson)
- The Fall of the Hotel Dumort (2013) (with Maureen Johnson)
- Saving Raphael Santiago (2013) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
- No Immortal Can Keep a Secret (2013) (with Maureen Johnson)
- What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything (2013) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy ~ eBooks — NEW
- Welcome to the Shadowhunter Academy (Feb 17, 2015) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
- The Lost Herondale (Mar 17, 2015) (with , Robin Wasserman)
- The Whitechapel Fiend (April , 2015) (with Maureen Johnson)
- Nothing But Shadows (May 19, 2015) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
- The Evil We Love (June 16, 2015) (with Robin Wasserman)
- Pale Kings and Princes (July 21, 2015) (with Robin Wasserman)
- Bitter of Tongue (Aug 18, 2015) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
- The Fiery Trial (Sept 15, 2015) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
- Born to Endless Night (Oct 20, 2015) (with Sarah Rees Brennan)
- Angels Twice Descending (Nov 17, 2015) (with Robin Wasserman)
Companion Series Edit
The Infernal Devices : (Prequel)Edit
- Clockwork Angel (2010)
- Clockwork Prince (2011)
- Clockwork Princess (2013)
The Dark Artifices: (Sequel)Edit
- Lady Midnight (2016, March)
- Prince of Shadows (2016)
- The Queen of Air and Darkness (2017)
The Last Hours: (Sequel to Infernal Devices)
- Titles forthcoming far in the future (Goodreads link)
Other Series by Author onsite Edit
- Dark Artifices series
- Infernal Devices series
- Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy
- Bane Chronicles
- Last Hours series
- Good vs. Evil
- Unrequited Love
- Complexity of Love
World Building Edit
New York City
- Idris: The home country of the Shadowhunters, this is mentioned often; located between Germany and France. Its capital is Alicante, also called the Glass City; Hidden to humans.
- Pandemonium Club: It is an all-ages club.
- Nacho Mama: It is a neighborhood Mexican joint.
- New York Marble Cemetery: where the City of Bones is located—also called the Silent City.
- Taki's: It is a diner in New York.
- Magnus Bane's Apartment:
- Hotel Dumont: It is the Vampires' lair.
- Roosevelt Island: where the Renwick Smallpox Hospital is located and battle takes place.
- Clary's house: filled with demons later in book
- Metropole: Manhattan's most expensive new downtown condominium tower
- Hunter's Moon: It is a werewolves' bar located on Hester Street.
- Silent City: It is located in New York Marble Cemetery. It is also known as the City of Bones.
- New York Institute: It is located in a Church. This is where Lightwoods reside.
- Luke's House:
- Beth Israel Hospital:
- Alicante: capital of Idris—the City of Glass.
- Lake Lyn: the lake in Idris where it is said the Angel who gave the powers to the Shadowhunter's emerged. Also said to be cursed, causing illness or death to anyone who ingests it's water.
- Penhallows' House: in Idris
- Gard: official meeting place of the Clave.
- Brocelind Forest: has always been a hiding place for Downworlders.
- Waylands' Manor:
- Edom: Demon realm
Supernatural Elements Edit
✥ Shadow-Hunters, Nephilim (half human-angel), Vampires, Werewolves, Faeries, Warlocks, Angels, Demons, Mermaid (brief appearance bk5), Automatons, Faery Knight,
- Shadowhunters (also called Nephilim): The Nephilim are humans with angel blood in their veins. They hunt and kill demons.
- Downworlder: Are creatures that are human-demon hybrids. They are not necessarily evil but can be. "Downworlder" is a generic name for the children of the moon (Werewolves), the children of the night (Vampires), the children of Lilith (Warlocks) and the children of Lylic (the Fair Folk, or Faeries).
- Fearies or Fair Folk: Half angel and demon crossbreads.
- Mundane, "Mundie": Humans that are not able to see the Shadow World because they have no Sight. One who does not have anything to do with the Shadow World. A human.
- "The Angel": The Angel is how he is commonly refered to, though his real name is Raziel. Ages ago, Raziel created three tools, called the "Mortal Instruments" (hence the name of the series): the cup, the sword, and the mirror. In the first book, however, only the cup is of signifigance. It is said in Shadow Hunter legend that The Angel took his blood in a cup and gave it to the first Shadowhunters to drink, entrusting them with the task of ridding this world of demons. It is said that if you bring together the mirror, sword, and cup, Raziel comes and grants you a wish, though the mirror has supposedly been lost forever.
- Shadow World: The magical realm where the Shadowhunter’s society, demons, and the Downworlders live. This world is invisible to the human eye.
- The Accords: A treaty that brings an alliance between the Downworlders and the Shadowhunters.
- Demonology: The study of demons.
- Forsaken: People who were humans and had runes drawn on their faces that casued them to become minions who do whatever the person who created them tells them to do
- Seraph Blade: An angelic blade that are used to kill demons. They are each named after a different angel.
- Stele: Is the instrument used by Shadowhunters to draw Runes. Described as a slender twig made of whitish-silver material, apparently flexible.
- Runes: The marks Shadowhunters use in order to enhance their abilities or protect them. Put on with a stele. Burn/sting when put on skin.
- Eidolon Demon: It is a shape-changer.
- Parabatai: It means a pair of warriors who fight together--who are closer than brothers.
- Iratze: It is a healing rune
- Ifrit: They are warlocks with no magic. They are half demons who can't cast spells.
- Kelpies/Selkies: They are kind of faeries.
- Gramarye: It means magic, hidden wisdom.
- Lycanthropy: It is a delusion that one has become a wolf. It is also the assumption of the form and characteristics of a wolf held to be possible by witchcraft or magic.
- Glamour: Used by Shadowhunters and Downworlders to conceal their activities from Mundanes. Things with a glamour look different from what they truly are. Like hologram.
- Daylighter: A vampire who can walk broad daylight.
- Downworld: Secret world inhabited by Downworlders.
Groups & Organizations:Edit
- The Circle: group of Shadowhunters led by Valentine Morgenstern, who rebelled against The Clave and set out to destroy every Demon and Downworlder.
- The Clave: The Shadowhunters' government. It is made up of a Council, the Inquisitor, and the Consul.
- Conclave: A branch of the Clave
- Shadowhunters (Nephilim): A race of humans with Angel blood in their veins, making them slightly superhuman. They are meant to rid the world of demons who slip in through dimensional holes.
- Silent Brothers: A group of Shadowhunters who possess the power to see into peoples' minds and depict information.
- Mundanes: Normal humans.
- Warlocks (Lilith's Children): A race of creatures who is half-angel, half-demon
- Vampires (the Night Children): Add a description of this organization.
- Werewolves (The Moon's Children)
- Faeries (Half Demon-Half Angel): the fair folk:
- Praetor Lupus: An organization of werewolves. Believed to be mythical.
- The Iron Sisters: A group of women who make weapons.
- Midnight burrito: Simon's band
(write a description)
✥ Clary Fray: Main Character, she is the daughter of Jocelyn Fray. The heroine of the book, Clary is a fifteen year-old that soon finds she can see through the glamour into the Shadowhunter World. Simon's best friend. Curious, and often gets into trouble. ~ Shelfari
✥ Jace Wayland: A Shadowhunter who lives in the Institute and Clary begins to have feeling towards. Jace Wayland (or Lightwood, or Morganstern, or Herendale) is the first shadow hunter Clary meets. He is good at what he does and he is brave, cocky, and loyal. Jace is pretty outgoing and always has faith in Clary, even in the end. Jace always tries to save everyone, though he sometimes forgets to save himself, especially when reunited with his dad. ~ Shelfari
He is said to be the best Shadowhunter his age. He is described as having golden hair, eyes, and skin, making him popular with girls, although he has never had a serious relationship. He is very arrogant, but is a very kind and thoughtful person underneath, though he tries to hide it. His name comes from his initials, J.C., short for Jonathan Christopher. ~ Shelfari
Simon Lewis — human turned vampire — sidekick to Clary (and the institute shadowhunters) — gamer nerd, good at archery
Mortal Instruments Characters Edit
- Mortal Instruments Character Guide | Wicked Scribes
- Characters - The Shadowhunters' Wiki
- List of The Mortal Instruments characters - Wikipedia
- The Mortal Instruments Series ~ Shelfari
|Clarissa 'Clary' Fray||fifteen year-old, Shadowhunter||fifteen year-old that soon finds she can see through the glamour into the Shadowhunter World. (see above)|
|Jace Wayland, (Lightwood, Morgenstern, Herondale)||Shadowhunter||lives in the Institute and Clary begins to have feeling towards. (see above)|
|Simon Lewis||Clary's best friend||caring, good-natured; doesn't trust the Shadowhunters but hangs around to protect Clary; good at archery; in love with Clary; dark hair, glasses; turned into a vampire unwillingly; likes Maia;|
|Alec Lightwood||Shadowhunter; Isabelle's older brother||Parabatai: Jace; great Shadowhunter; never killed a demon: he's always watching Jace and Isabelle's backs. blue eyes; very protective;|
|Isabelle Lightwood||Shadow hunter; Alec's sister;||lives in the Institute; uses a whip as weapon. Daughter of the exiled Lightwoods; brothers: Alec & Max;|
|Magnus Bane||High Warlock of Brooklyn||
Jocelyn's friend; flamboyant, loves throwing parties; lives in Brooklyn; 100s of years old; bisexual; erased Clary's memories of Shadow World; falls for Alec;
|Lucian Greymark (Luke Garroway)||werewolf||leader of a pack. Secretly loves Jocelyn though unrequited; fatherly figure to Clary; in the Circle before he turned into a werewolf;|
|Jocelyn Fray||Clary's mother; Former Shadowhunter||Also known as Jocelyn Fairchild; Clary looks just like her, with flaming red hair and a petite figure.In a coma; was married to Valentine;|
|Valentine Morgenstern||evil Shadowhunter||main antagonist of the novel. Believed to have died years before the novel begins. The villain trying to find the Mortal Cup. Claire's father; raised Jace pretending to be Wayland; in his forties, has white hair, broad shoulders, over six feet tall, very muscular. Valentine is arrogant and impossible to argue with. Was married to Jocelyn Fray.|
|"Sebastian", Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern||part Shadowhunter, part Greater Demon||son of Jocelyn Fray and Valentine Morgenstern; sister: Clary Fray; raised by Valentine in Idris; created using the blood of Lilith, demon strength and speed; black eyes, white-gold hair;|
|Hodge Starkweather||Shadowhunter mentor, guide, teacher, trainer||Alec, Jace, and Isabelle's mentor and guide. He helps them with their Shadowhunter training. Cursed to live in the Lightwood Institute, because he was a member of The Circle.|
|Brother Zachariah (CoFA #4)||Silent Brother||does not look or act like most of the Silent Brothers; retained some of his humanity; invested in helping the Herondale family; cheekbones marked with the scar of a black rune; often interacts with the NY shadow hunters;|
|Maryse Lightwood||Shadowhunter, NY Institute head||runs the NY Institute with her husband Robert Lightwood; kids: Alec, Isabelle and Max; Wary and unsure if she can trust Jace since Valentine is his father;|
|Robert Lightwood||Shadowhunter, NY Institute head||father-to: Alec, Isabelle and Max|
|Maia Roberts||werewolf in Luke's pack||has a crush on Simon; abused by brother; ex-boyfriend turned her into a werewolf; wary of good-looking guys; sweet, tough, and pretty; often fights alongside Clary and her friends;|
|Jordan Kyle||Werewolf; Praetor Lupus||boyfriend of Maia Roberts; turned Maia; assigned to watch over Simon Lewis;|
- 1 City of Bones — CoB
- 2 City of Ashes — CoA
- 3 City of Glass — CoG
- 4 City of Fallen Angels — CoFA
- 5 City of Lost Souls — CoLS
- 6 City of Heavenly Fire — CoHF
Supporting and Background CharactersEdit
The letters in parenthesis after a name represent the first book seen in.
|Abbadon (CoB)||greater demon||Demon of the Abyss, one of the Ancients. He is the Lord of the Fallen. He took over Madame Dorothea's body through the Portal and hurt Alec badly.|
|Amatis Graymark Herondale (CoA)||sister of Luke Garroway||first wife of Stephen Herondale ho divorced on Valentine's orders; turned away from Luke for being a Werewolf; lives in Alicante;|
|Blackwell (CoB)||Valentine's lackeys||works as a partner with Blackwell|
|Brother Enoch (CoFA)||Silent Brother||stern and somewhat cold; first bk: City of Fallen Angels|
|Brother Jeremiah (CoB)||Silent Brother||speaks only through entering someone’s mind; able to access a person’s memories; mouth crisscrossed with a pattern of dark lines like stitches; disfigured by the use of powerful runes; lives in Silent City;|
|Camille Belcourt (CoG)||Vampire||cruel and cunning; official head of the NY vampires for over 50 years, former lover of Magnus Bane over 130 years ago|
|Church (CoB)||immortal cat||lives at NY Institute; Church will lead to person looking for; came from London institute;|
|Daniel Roberts (CoA)||Maia Roberts brother||abused his sister Maia; cruel; predatory; dead;|
|Elaine Lewis (CoFA)||Simon's mother, human||daughter: Rebecca; rejects Simon after he was turned vamp; works for environmental organization|
|Elias (CoA)||warlock boy||has wings;|
|Eric (CoB)||Simon's next-door-neighbor||member of the band that Simon is in. Oftentimes Simon borrows his van. He writes (really bad) poetry.|
|Freaky Pete ()||bartender||works in a werewolf bar;|
|Gretel (CoB)||werewolf, Luke's friend||Luke's second in command killed by a forsaken demon;|
|Hugin "Hugo" (CoB)||pet raven||Hodge's creepy pet raven.|
|Imogen Herondale (CoA)||Inquistor||acts like she hates Jace;|
|Ithuriel (CoG)||Angel||captured and held for years by Valentine Morgenstern; pure white wings; blood used in Valentine’s experiments on Jace and Clary; send prophetic dreams to Clary;|
|Jonathan Clark (CoB)||dead man||dead man who Clary believes to be her father. He used to serve in the Army.|
|Julian “Jules” Blackthorn (CoLS)||Shadowhunter||12 years old; family runs the Los Angeles Institute; sibs: Helen, Tibs, Livvy; has some Fae blood;|
|Kaelie (CoB)||Pixie, waitress||works at Taki's; Seelie Court; Nixie-like entirely blue eyes; skin with green veins; white wings; sharp teeth;|
|Lilith (CoG)||First of all Demons; Mother of Warlocks||gave her own demon blood for Valentine to use on Sebastian; considers Sebastian to be her son; resurrects Sebastian;|
|Lily (CoB)||vampire||pretty, blue-haired Asian vampire; lives at the Hotel Dumort|
|Madame Dorothea (CoB)||Fortune teller||A lady who lives in the same apartment building as Clary and her mum. Claims to be a witch and read tea leaves and palms.|
|Madeleine Bellefleur (CoA)||Shadowhunter||friend of Jocelyn Fray’s in Idris; only one who can break the spell keeping Jocelyn Fray asleep;|
|Malachi Dieudonne (CoG)||Consul, Shadowhunter||allied with Valentine Morgenstern, tries to sway the Clave in Valentine’s favor;|
|Malik (CoA)||Shadowhunter||He is a handsome ebony, skinned man who is a Shadowhunter; brother: Kadir|
|Marcus Herondale (CoA)||Shadowhunter||biological grandfather of Jace Lightwood; husband of Imogen Herondale|
|Maureen Brown (CoFA)||Vampire||13 years old; huge crush on Simon Lewis; bitten and fed on by Simon; kidnapped by Lilith’s followers; resurrected as a vampire; goes on a killing spree; killed Camille Belcourt and takes her place;|
|Max Lightwood (CoB)||Shadowhunter-to-be||youngest Lightwood; sibs: Isabelle & Alec; idolizes Jace; age 9; serious;|
|Meliorn (CoA)||faerie knight||handsome faerie knight who Isabelle fancies|
|Michael Wayland (CoB)||Shadowhunter||the man that Jace believed to be his father for many years; close friends of Lightwoods;|
|Mirek (CoLS)||Vetis Demon, dark magician||owner of an antiques store in Prague, contact of Sebastian’s; rare piece of adamas; long, serpentine arms with in eel-like heads; strong glamour;|
|Pangborn, Emil (CoB)||Valentine's lackeys||One of the bad guys who use to be in the Circle. One of Valentine's lackeys who works as a partner with Blackwell.|
|Patrick Penhallow (CoG)||Shadowhunter||ran the Institute in Beijing for years; uncle of Sebastian Verlac;|
|Ragnor Fell (CoG)||Warlock||provided Jocelyn Fray with the spell that put her into a coma; dimensional magic; lived in Idris|
|Raphael Santiago (CoB)||Vampire||A spanish boy who tries to help Clary and Jace; second in command of his vampire pack; power struggle with Camille; Spanish;|
|Raziel (CoG)||Angel||summoned by Valentine using the Mortal Instruments; restores Jace Lightwood back to life;|
|Rebecca Lewis (CoA)||Simon's sister||loves and supports Simon; college in New Jersey;|
|Sebastian Verlac (CoG)||Shadowhunter||murdered by Jonathan Morgenstern and his identity taken over; nephew of Jia Penhallow|
|Seelie Queen (CoA)||Faerie||limited help to Shadowhunters; interest in Sebastian; cunning, manipulative; history with Magnus Bane; green hair;|
|Sister Cleophas (CoLS)||Iron Sister||weapons-maker; ancient face, tall, orange eyes, nails filed to points, tipped with electrum;|
|Sister Dolores (CoLS)||Iron Sister||husband and children all murdered by demons|
|Sister Magdelena (CoLS)||Iron Sister||disgraced weapon’s maker; tasked by Sebastian with making a second Mortal Cup;|
|Stephen Herondale (CoA)||deceased Shadowhunter||son of the Inquisitor, Imogen; Jace's true father; Valentine’s second; forced by Valentine to divorce Amatis; was a "golden child" and was loved by many;|
|Wolsey Scott (CoFA)||Werewolf||founder of the Praetor Lupus in the 1800’s; former lover of Magnus Bane|
To expand the table, in Edit–Visual mode, right-press on a Row of the table or Column (Control-press on a Mac)—choose add Row or Column.
- 1 City of Bones — CoB
- 2 City of Ashes — CoA
- 3 City of Glass — CoG
- 4 City of Fallen Angels — CoFA
- 5 City of Lost Souls — CoLS
- 6 City of Heavenly Fire — CoHF
- Website: Cassandra Clare | New York Times Bestselling Author of The Shadowhunter Chronicles
- Genres: Young Adult Urban Fantasy
Bio: "Cassandra Clare was born overseas and spent her early years traveling around the world with her family and several trunks of fantasy books. Cassandra worked for several years as an entertainment journalist for the Hollywood Reporter before turning her attention to fiction. She is the author of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments trilogy and a New York Times bestseller. Cassandra lives with her fiance and their two cats in Massachusetts." ~ Goodreads | Cassandra Clare (Author of City of Bones)
Other Contributors Edit
- Audio Book Narrator: Ari Graynor — Source: Greenman Reviews
- Audio Book Narrator: Mae Whitman — Source:
- Editor: — Source: TMI Source
- Designer: Mike Rosamilia
Publishing Information Edit
- Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books, Simon & Schuster Children's,
- Author Page:
- Bk-1: Hardcover, 485 pages, Pub: March 27th 2007—ISBN 1416914285
- Bk-2: Hardcover, 1st Edition, 453 pages, Pub: March 25th 2008—ISBN 1416914293
- Bk-3: Hardcover, 1st Edition, 541 pages, Pub: March 24th 2009—ISBN 1416914307
- Bk-4: Hardcover, 1st Edition, 424 pages, Pub: April 5th 2011—ISBN 1442403543
- Bk-5: Hardcover, 535 pages, Pub: May 8th 2012 —ISBN 1442416866
- Bk-6: Hardcover, 725 pages, Pub: May 27th 2014—ISBN 1481426303
Book Cover Blurbs Edit
✤ BOOK ONE—City of Bones (2007): When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end. ~ Goodreads | City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
✤ BOOK TWO—City of Ashes (2008): Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father. To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father? In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation. ~ Goodreads | City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare
✤ BOOK THREE—City of Glass (2009): To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight. As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost? Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments. ~ Goodreads | City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare
✤ BOOK FOUR—City of Fallen Angels (2011): The Mortal War is over, and sixteen-year-old Clary Fray is back home in New York, excited about all the possibilities before her. She’s training to become a Shadowhunter and to use her unique power. Her mother is getting married to the love of her life. Downworlders and Shadowhunters are at peace at last. And—most importantly of all—she can finally call Jace her boyfriend. —But nothing comes without a price. — Someone is murdering Shadowhunters, provoking tensions between Downworlders and Shadowhunters that could lead to a second, bloody war. Clary’s best friend, Simon, can’t help her—his mother just found out that he’s a vampire, and now he’s homeless. When Jace begins to pull away from her without explaining why, Clary is forced to delve into the heart of a mystery whose solution reveals her worst nightmare: she herself has set in motion a terrible chain of events that could lead to her losing everything she loves. Even Jace. The stakes are higher than ever in the #1 New York Times bestselling fourth installment of the Mortal Instruments series. ~ Goodreads | City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare
✤ BOOK FIVE—City of Lost Souls (2012): The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon. What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost? Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series. ~ Goodreads | City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) by Cassandra Clare
✤ BOOK SIX—City of Heavenly Fire (2014): In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother. Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell. The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons? When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned... Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments! ~ Goodreads | City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare
First Sentences Edit
- City of Bones (2007) — "You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
- City of Ashes (2008) — The formidable glass-and-steel structure rose from its position on Front Street like a glittering needle threading the sky.
- City of Glass (2009) — The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty frontyard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.
- City of Fallen Angels (2011) — "Just coffee, please."
- City of Lost Souls (2012) — "How much longer will the verdict take, do you think?" Clary asked.
- City of Heavenly Fire (2014) — On the day Emma Carstair's parents were killed, the weather was perfect.
- Cassandra Clare Quotes (Author of City of Bones) ~ GR
- The Mortal Instruments Series ~ Shelfari (on each book page)
- Lists That Contain City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
- Lists That Contain City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare
- Lists That Contain City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare
- Lists That Contain City of Fallen Angels ( #4) by Cassandra Clare
- Lists That Contain City of Lost Souls (Mortal Instruments, #5) by Cassandra Clare
- Lists That Contain City of Heavenly Fire (Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare
Read Alikes (similar elements)Edit
- Dark Artifices
- Infernal Devices, The
- Wicked Lovely series
- Modern Tale of Faerie
- Twilight Series
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy
- Vampire Academy series
- Shade series
- Morganville Vampires series
- Parasol Protectorate series
- Curse Workers series by Holly Black
- Dark Angels series
- Fallen series
- Guild Hunter series
- Dark Ink Chronicles
- Matthew Swift series
- Magicals Anonymous series
- Kara Gillian series
- Cinder Spires Trilogy
- Age of Steam series
- St. Croix Chronicles
- Vampire Empire series
- Abraham Lincoln Illinois High School Book Award (2010)
- South Carolina Young Adult Book Award (Finalist, 2009-2010)
- Georgia Peach Honor Book Award (Teen Readers)
- Pacific Northwest Library Association Young Reader’s Choice Award (2010)
- Locus Award (Finalist, 2007: Best First Novel)
- An American Library Association Teens Top Ten Award (2008)
- Geffen Award (Finalist, 2012: Best Translated Fantasy Book)
See Also Edit
- Tales From the Shadowhunter Academy
- UF Book Release Schedules
- List of Sidekicks
- List of Vampires of Urban Fantasy
- Characters (category)
- Lists and Articles - Category: Urban Fantasy Wiki
- Urban Fantasy Links
See Category links at bottom of this page
External References Edit
- Cassandra Clare | The Shadowhunter Chronicles ~ Author
- The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare ~ Goodreads
- Cassandra Clare ~ FF
- The Mortal Instruments - Series Bibliography ~ ISFdb
- The Mortal Instruments Series ~ Shelfari
- The Mortal Instruments | Series | LibraryThing ~ LibraryThing
- FictFact - Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare ~ FictFact
- Cassandra Clare - Summary Bibliography ~ ISFdb (author)
Connected Series Pages:
- Shadowhunters World :The Mortal Instruments :Home
- Shadowhunters World :The Infernal Devices :Home
- Cassandra Clare, The Dark Artifices
- Goodreads | The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare
- Goodreads | The Dark Artifices series by Cassandra Clare
- Goodreads | The Bane Chronicles series by Cassandra Clare
- The Mortal Instruments | wicked scribes
World, Characters, etc:
- Mortal Instruments Character Guide |
- The Shadowhunters' Wiki
- List of The Mortal Instruments characters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The Mortal Instruments: Characters: The Shadowhunters Codex
- The Mortal Instruments Series ~ Shelfari
- Cassandra Clare | New York Times Bestselling Author of The Shadowhunter Chronicles
- Goodreads | Cassandra Clare (Author of City of Bones)
- (3) Cassandra Clare
Community, Fan Sites:
- TMI Source | Your ultimate Shadowhunter source
- Shadowhunters World
- Fangirlish | The Mortal Instruments
- Cassandra Clare's Blog
- Cassandra Clare
- Cassandra Clare (cassieclare) on Twitter
- Cassandra Clare (cassieclare) on Twitter