About the Author Edit
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resides mostly inside his own head, but his head can generally be found in his home town of Independence, Missouri. ~ More: About Jim | Jim Butcher
A martial arts enthusiast whose resume includes a long list of skills rendered obsolete at least two hundred years ago, Jim Butcher turned to writing as a career because anything else probably would have driven him insane. He lives with his wife, his son, and a ferocious guard dog. ~ Jim Butcher–FF
- More below...
Urban Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, Steampunk, RPG
|Series Title||Sub Genre||Supernatural Elements|
|Dresden Files series||UF||Magic, Wizards, Fae, Vamps, Shape-shifters, Denarians, lots more|
|Codex Alera||Epic Fantasy|
|Cinder Spires Trilogy||Steampunk|
|Darkest Hours (2006)||Spider-Man novel|
To expand the table, in Edit–Visual mode, right-press on a Row of the table or Column (Control-press on a Mac)—choose add Row or Column.
Anthologies and Shorts Edit
Shorts — in Side Jobs:
- 0.2. “Restoration of Faith” (2010) [free ebook: butcher.com]
- 5.5. "Vignette" aka “Publicity and Advertising” (2011) “Vignette”- free ebook
- 7.5. “Something Borrowed” in My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (2006)
- 9.2. “It’s My Birthday Too”, Many Bloody Returns (2007)
- 9.5. “Heorot”, My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon (Jan 2008)
- 10.1. “Day Off”, Blood Lite (Oct 2008)
- 10.3. “Backup” (Oct 2008) eBook Novelette — Thomas’ POV
- 10.5. “The Warrior”, Mean Streets (Jan 2009)
- 10.7. “Last Call”, Strange Brew (July 2009)
- 11.5. “Love Hurts”, Songs of Love and Death (Nov 2010)
- 12.5. “Aftermath” (2011) [Murphy’s POV], Side Jobs only
Shorts — Not in Side Jobs:
- 0.5. “Welcome to the Jungle”: Graphic novel (2008)
- 2.5. “B is for Bigfoot” in Under My Hat: Tales From the Cauldron: (Aug 28, 2012) — between Fool Moon and Grave Peril.
- 6.5. “I Was A Teenage Bigfoot”: Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste (May 29, 2012) — Takes place circa Dead Beat.
- 10.5. “Curses”: Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy (July 2011) [w: Harry] — between Small Favor & Turn Coat.
- AAA Wizardry:
- 11.2. “Even Hand”: Dark and Stormy Knights : (Jul 2010) [Dresdenverse, no Harry] — between Turn Coat & Changes (Marcone PoV)
- 11.9. “Bigfoot on Campus”: Hex Appeal : (Jun 5, 2012) — between Turn Coat & Changes.
- 13.1. “Bombshells”,”: Dangerous Women (Dec 3, 2013) — between Ghost Story and Cold Days (Molly POV short story)
- Short Stories (Side Jobs and Brief Cases) | Jim Butcher
- Goodreads | The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher
Bigfoot seires of shorts:Edit
- “I Was A Teenage Bigfoot” (5/29/2012) — from Blood Lite 3: Aftertaste, edited by Kevin J. Anderson. — Takes place circa Dead Beat.
- “Bigfoot on Campus” (6/05/2012) — from Hex Appeal, edited by P.N. Elrod. — Takes place between Turn Coat and Changes.
- “B is for Bigfoot” (8/28/2012) — from Under My Hat: Tales From the Cauldron, edited by Jonathan Strahan. — Takes place between Fool Moon and Grave Peril.
Cover Art: ArtistEdit
More about Jim Edit
Jim Butcher read his first fantasy novel when he was seven years old-- the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. By the time he turned eight, he'd added the rest of the Narnia books, the Prydain Chronicles, every book about Star Wars he could find, a great many Star Trek novels and the Lord of the Rings to his count.
- So he was pretty much doomed from the start.
Love of fantasy, his personal gateway drug, drew him toward a fairly eclectic spread of interests: horseback riding (including trick riding, stunt riding, drill riding, and competitive stunt racing), archery, martial arts, costuming, music and theater. He played a lot of role- playing games, a lot of fantasy-based tactical computer games, and eventually got into live-action roleplay where players beat each other up with boffer weapons.
- So, really, he can fly his nerd flag with pretty much anyone, and
frequently does. He took up writing to be able to produce fantasy novels with swords and horses in them, and determinedly wrote terrible fantasy books until, just to prove a point to his writing teacher, he decided to take every piece of her advice; fill out outlines and worksheets, and design stories and characters just the way she'd been telling him to do for about three years. He was certain that once she saw what hideous art it produced, she would be proven wrong and repent the error of her ways. The result was the Dresden Files, which sure showed *her*.
- She has not yet admitted her mistake and recanted her philosophy on
writing. Jim has performed in dramas, musicals, and vocal groups in front of live audiences of thousands and on TV. He has performed exhibition riding in multiple arenas, and fallen from running horses a truly ridiculous number of times. He was once cursed by an Amazon witch doctor in rural Brazil, has apparently begun writing about himself in the third person, and is hardly ever sick at sea.
- He also writes books occasionally.
Jim stands accused of writing the Dresden Files and the Codex Alera. He's plead insanity, but the jury is still out on that one. He lives in Missouri with his wife, romantic suspense and paranormal romance writer Shannon K. Butcher (who is really pretty and way out of his league), his son, and a ferocious guard dog. ~ Amazon.com: Jim Butcher
Jim goes by the moniker Longshot in a number of online locales. He came by this name in the early 1990′s when he decided he would become a published author. Usually only 3 in 1000 who make such an attempt actually manage to become published; of those, only 1 in 10 make enough money to call it a living. The sale of a second series was the breakthrough that let him beat the long odds against attaining a career as a novelist. ~ About Jim | Jim Butcher
- Harry Dresden
- Side Jobs
- Dresden Files series
- Cinder Spires Trilogy
- Blood Lite series
- 2015 UF Release Schedule
- List of Sidekicks
- List of Vampires of Urban Fantasy
- Characters (category)
- List of UF Anthologies
- List of PNR Anthologies and Collections
- List of Cover Artists
- Urban Fantasy Links
- 2014 UF Release Schedule
- Category links at bottom of page
External References Edit
Bibliography / Books:
- Dresden Files | Jim Butcher ~ Author book page
- Books by Jim Butcher ~ Goodreads (4 pages)
- Jim Butcher ~ FF
- Jim Butcher - Summary Bibliography ~ ISFdb (author)
- Jim Butcher Author Page ~ Shelfari
- Jim Butcher author of The Dresden Files, The Codex Alera Series ~ FictFact
- Jim Butcher ~ LibraryThing
- The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher ~ Goodreads
- The Cinder Spires series by Jim Butcher ~ Goodreads
- Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher ~ Goodreads
- Dresden Files: War Cry series and Dresden Files: Down Town series ~ Goodreads
- The Dresden Files - Series Bibliography ~ ISFdb
- The Codex Alera - Series Bibliography ~ ISFdb
- Dresden Files Series ~ Shelfari
- Cinder Spires Series ~ Shelfari
- Codex Alera Series ~ Shelfari
- Books - Dresden Files wikia ~ Wikia
- Series List by Jim Butcher (page 1) ~ Goodreads
- The Dresden Files | Series ~ LibraryThing
- The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher ~ FictFact
- The Codex Alera Series series by Jim Butcher ~ FictFact
- Big Apocalyptic Trilogy - Dresden Files
- Chronological list of all works - Dresden Files wikia
- The Dresden Files Reread - Series | Tor.com (great summaries)
- SFF AUTHOR Jim Butcher | Fantasy Literature ~ Series Overview
- FAQ | Jim Butcher (reading order and shorts)
- The Dresden Files - Wikipedia
- Authors website: Jim Butcher | The Online Site For Everything Jim
- Jim Butcher (longshotauthor) on Twitter
- Jim's Livejournal.
- (3) Jim Butcher
- Amazon.com: Jim Butcher
- Dresden Files Wiki ~ Wikia
- Dresden Files characters - Dresden Files Wiki ~ Wikia
- Dresden Files Series ~ Shelfari
- List of The Dresden Files characters - Wikipedia
- Groups and organizations - Dresden Files ~ Wikia
- List of The Dresden Files organizations - Wikipedia
- List of The Dresden Files groups - Wikipedia
- Jim Butcher - Wikiquote
- Best-selling Author Jim Butcher Returns to Dragon Con
- The Cinder Spires | The Arched Doorway
- Complications, intrigue and blowing stuff up: An interview with Jim Butcher | News-JournalOnline.com
Gallery of Book Covers Edit